Friday, June 11, 2021

Post 1: Rereading Dune

June 2021: This is the second time I've begun to read Dune by Frank Herbert and the third time I have owned this book.

There are so many reasons to reread books, one of which is that my memory is fickle and ill-behaved. I remember loving Dune, but even within the first five pages of this reread I could see how much I'd forgotten. There's a sense amongst the Atreides house of impending doom in the move to Arrakis, yet also of duty, both of which my memory has ignored entirely in favor of the theme of messianism and prophecy, stillsuits, and SPICE. But there is also still that which lends itself so deliciously to camp, which I do remember and which I'm sure contributed heavily to how much I loved this book. I am rereading to remember what happens and how the story is told.

Another reason I reread books is because they often become better with subsequent rereads. Of course, it's me who changes for the better and not the book, but I suppose it feels good to be reminded that, in a culture with such an emphasis on youth, I'm actually improving over time. This is not to say that young people as a rule lack wisdom, but it is to say that I have more of it than I once did. Maybe this wisdom will sharpen my focus on the supporting cast of adult characters as well as allow me to pick up more on the messianic young character Paul Atreides.

One more reason to reread Dune, specifically, is because this time I'll have great company doing so. Some reading buddies from the community created by the Book Cougars are reading it as part of the Big Book Summer Challenge hosted by Sue at Book by Book. And also, as I have posted on my Instagram (@colleenka) about it, I've heard from a couple other friends who are reading it this year as well. The big blockbuster movie coming out in October probably has something to do with the timing!

So, why have I owned it three times? Because I have gone through fits and spurts over my adult life of buying into various degrees of minimalism as well as have moved eight times in fourteen years. Moving boxes of books is nothing to sneeze at, so I have donated my first two copies of Dune amongst dozens of boxes of other books to make moves easier on myself. But something keeps me coming back to it, and now that I own my own place and will not be moving any time soon I can (once again) reevaluate my relationship to things I own. I just bought a trade paperback copy because it's comfortable to read and think this summer I might acquire more than one copy of Dune, including the graphic novel and a hardcover copy, now that I'm a little more geographically stable.

I look forward to reading more and hope to post more on Dune and other books too. It's been a number of years since I attempted a book blog, and hopefully I can apply the wisdom I supposedly have gained since the last time towards managing a blogging project. 

Until next time,

Colleen

4 comments:

  1. Yay you! The good thing about a blog is its always there for you when you're ready to write, and readers like me are happy whenever you post. I have been so tempted to pick up Dune, as it was one of my dad's favorites. I've actually had it in my hands at the bookstore a couple times, but am not yet ready. Maybe by October. Have you watched the 1984 version? (I have not.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Chris! My first comment!!!! Thank you for commenting, for the encouragement to write a blog, and for the inspiration to do so as well. The Book Cougars have played an outsize role in making me want to be a part of the online bookish community. I think what you and Emily have done is wonderful and welcoming, and I am so grateful.

      As for Dune, I totally get needing to wait on a book, especially if it is a favorite of a loved one. You want to make sure you have the time and energy to give to the book, almost like the book is a proxy for the love and respect for the person whose favorite it is. When you are ready, it’ll be there for you. I don’t think Dune is in danger of going out of print any time soon.

      As for the movie, I am pretty sure I tried watching was when I was working at Borders (between 2005-2006). That’s right about when I started reading science fiction, and it was right after I read Dune when I tried to watch it at a friend’s house. I was so tired after work (you know what I’m talking about!) that I passed out on his couch and did not ever finish the movie. But I’m excited to include it in my summer 2021 activities! The same friend just reread Dune, and we are planning to watch both the 1984 David Lynch movie and the new one together.

      Delete
  2. Great choice for Big Book Summer! I have to admit, I have never read Dune myself, even though it's my husband's all-time favorite book!!

    Maybe I should add it to my list for Big Book Summer 2022 ...

    Enjoy!

    Sue

    2021 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, for commenting and for hosting the challenge! There are so many exciting books that fit the criteria for the Big Book Summer, and Dune is certainly one of them. I hope you do read it someday, whether or not in 2022!

      Delete

Thoughts, Les Mis Part I

Quotes I liked: “To be a saint is the exception. To be a good man is the rule.” “Society is to blame for not giving free education. It’s res...